After a financial settlement outside the American court, the lawsuit against British Prince Andrew has now also been officially closed.
Prince Andrew was a frequent guest of sex offender and billionaire Jeffrey Epstein and was accused by the American Virginia Giuffre of sexual abuse when she was still a minor. On Tuesday, the federal judge in New York signed the necessary court documents to close the case.
In February, the parties reached a “principal” settlement. However, the agreement stipulated that the parties would file a rejection motion after Giuffre received the amount, suggesting that the amount had since been transferred.
It was not said how much money was involved. However, the British newspaper The Telegraph spoke of more than twelve million pounds (more than fourteen million euros). In addition, it has been said that the Queen’s second eldest son will make a “substantial donation” to a Giuffre charity to support the rights of victims of sexual assault.
The Duke of York has always vehemently denied the allegations. However, the prince has suffered major reputational damage due to the affair. Queen Elizabeth decided last month to strip her son of his titles. The 61-year-old prince withdrew from public life in 2019 after he tried to clear his name from Giuffre’s accusations in an interview with British broadcaster BBC.